Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Trusting

Today I am reminded of God's goodness and faithfulness.   Today has been a difficult one for me.  There are some days where I wonder why we are in ministry.  It can be so hard and trying.   Some days like today, I want to throw in the towel and give up.   I want an "easy" life.  I want "normal" problems.

God chose to remind me of His purpose in our lives in two very real ways today.  The first is through Scripture.   One my fridge are the verses from 1 Samuel 12:21-24
And do not turn aside after empty things that cannot profit or deliver, for they are empty. 22 For the LORD will not forsake his people, for his great name’s sake, because it has pleased the LORD to make you a people for himself. 23Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by ceasing to pray for you, and I will instruct you in the good and the right way. 24Only fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with all your heart. For consider what great things he has done for you. 

The easy life and those things that I crave are just "empty things that cannot profit or deliver".    God will not forsake us.  He has brought us this far and will not just leave us.  Reminds me of a song we used to sing at New City - "We've come this far by faith...leaning on the Lord, trusting in His holy Word, He's never failed us yet"

The second way God encouraged me was through a project that I am working on - typing up all of my grandparents letters.  They were missionaries out in Kenya for 37 (?) years.   Apparently, my PopPop had been asked to consider a home post at the mission organization. In his response (in which he declines even to be considered), he says


"For many year the chief stabilizing factor for Lolly and me in our lives here in Africa has been the absolute conviction in our hearts that God brought us here and that we continue to remain at His direction. As you know in the years gone by, we have seen difficult times, yet in each experience, our minds were quieted by the confidence that we were here at His bidding. His “call” has never been revoked, but rather we have experienced a real peace of mind and deepening conviction that this is His place of service for us. Unless circumstances should affect this inner conviction, it would be extremely difficult to visualize making a change or even to consider a change just now."

God has called us to ministry and that call has not been revoked.

No comments:

Post a Comment